вторник, 18 октября 2011 г.

RENAISSANCE PUNCTUATION


     
In my previous post I  talked about Renaissance and its influence on the English Literature, in this post I would like to share my findings about punctuation marks which emerged  during  RENAISSANEC. In  the 16 th  century many marks like commas, semi-commas or question marks emerged. Before that English writers had to use
symbols like    virgules, or oblique strokes  ( /) colons( :) or periods (.). It is often asserted that  those symbols were used instead of  contemporary punctuation marks. For instance,   virgule had the function of modern comma  and so on.  It is essential to  notice  that the  many writers were  trying to do their best in order to create proper punctuation marks for the  English Language. John Hart a   signer of the United States Declaration of Independence  had a  great deal to say concerning the punctuation marks like commas, question marks, square brackets capital letters and so on. I should say that during the end of  the 16 th century when the Modern English was spread all those punctuation marks   were established.   I strongely suggets to watch this 
By all means each punctuation mark is very crucial but I want to say some more words about comma. The comma is undoubtedly the punctuation mark that gives people most trouble   and confusion. I hope my video  will  illustrate that.Commas provide the rhythm of a sentence.Sometimes the omission of comma in the sentences can confuse the reader. Some linguists say that there are nine rules for commas and if we remember those rules our writing will be very   clear in    meaning  and correct.


















4 комментария:

  1. Thank you for your post Anna. I always had difficulties with punctuation, so I found it very helpful for me.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. I am glad to hear that. I hope you watched my video as well

    ОтветитьУдалить
  3. Thanks Anna, punctuation is considered one of the most important parts of language learning.So it is very helpful.I liked the video most of all, good job!!!!!!!

    ОтветитьУдалить
  4. Yes , I think my video is really great . I hope no one will eat us like in my video. So girls ,be careful in order not to be eaten by someone because of wrong pointed comma.

    ОтветитьУдалить