пятница, 14 октября 2011 г.

TO be , or not to be .......the questio is. Is this Shakespeare ?

In my previous post I talked about England during the RENAISSANCE and about the influence of WILLIAM   SHAKESPEARE   on the RENAISSANCE. In this post I would like to share my findings  from CNN  NEWS about William Shakespeare`s  life  and mainly what   he looked like. 
He was   born in Stratford –upon –Avon, baptized 23 April 1564 but his birth date is unknown  to scholars.  He went to grammar school  in 1582 and married Ann Hathaway, they had three children. He died 23 April 1616. His will was made in March 1616. Shakespeare`s  works were translated into 37 languages.
But the most essential part of his life is unknown till now  concerning     his  appearance. By all means William Shakespeare is the most well –known name in literature. All images which scholars have seems unsatisfactory. The famous portrait in National Gallery he looked like with ear ring and dark eyes.
FIRST FOLIO




On the title page of his  book  FIRST FOLIO 1623  he looked  like  in this picture. All portraits   differ from each   other.  But most of the scholars do not accept that image of William Shakespeare.









Famous scholar Stanley Wells says that he is sure 90 %  that William Shakespeare looked like this. 



On the other hand Professor Katherine Duncan –James (  Oxford University)says that Shakespeare  in that picture   looked like too young. She says that it is very difficult to believe anyone of the scholars.
There are 20 copies of this image  and most scholars believe that  this is the closest one.  There cannot be satisfactory answer for anyone. I think no one would have opportunity to find out what he looked like in his real life. As for me I am a real fan of William Shakespeare and wanted to share my knowledge about  him.  I hope that one day we `ll  know more about William Shakespeare and his life.

4 комментария:

  1. I like Shakespeare's works very much and I am interested in everything that is connected with his name, I got new and appealing information from your blog, thanks.

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. Thank you Anna for very interesting information about one of my favorite writers.Thanks for sharing it with us :)

    ОтветитьУдалить
  3. I promise that I will find some more information
    about Shakespeare and share it with you.

    ОтветитьУдалить